maandag 23 april 2012

Kill without consequence


Title: British soldier will not be charged over killing of Afghan
Subject: A british soldier gets away guilt free because there is not enough evidence to prove murder
Date: Monday 16 April 2012 15.50 BST

Summary
Duane Knott, a member of the Territorial Army, came under investigation after shooting an Afghan man six times of which two shots were to the back. He suspected the Afghan to be a terrorist as he saw the man digging a hole in a field 400 meters away from the army base and reaching for a packet which looked like it contained bombs. The Service Prosecuting Authority (SPA) has concluded that there is not enough evidence present to prove that it was a case of murder instead of a prevention of terrorism.

Opinion
I will not get too far into the whole Afghan war stuff, I know we’re supposed to support the “western” forces but I just don’t know. It’s all a bit too complicated. As for shooting a man in the back, there’s not honour in that but then there is no honour in modern warfare. I do feel that the Afghan man deserved a chance to try to explain himself and his actions. If he hadn’t tried to talk but still would have gone for the package the British soldier could’ve shot to kill for all I care. What I find a bit weird is that there was no evidence at all. There is no information about the “package”, I’d like to know what it contained.

                      Seemed appropriate, and I didn't want to make a package joke

3 opmerkingen:

  1. I think it is really annoying that killing during a war is supposed to be okay. If someone shot a guy picking up a package in a non-war situation he would be in jail by now. Policemen and soldiers get away with so much violence nowadays, I think this should stop.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I think war is supposed to be about killing people, but you're right.

      Verwijderen
  2. In an ideal world, people would not get away so easily with killing another human. But then again, in an ideal world there would not be war. Of course, in such situations it is hard to judge, but I think at the very least it should be looked at and prevented (if it was unjust) next time.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen