donderdag 19 april 2012

No Bounty for Obama


Title: Labour peer denies calling for bounty on Barack Obama
Subject: Lord Ahmed denies wanting to pay 10 million for “catching” of Obama
Date: Monday 16 April 2012 18.45 BST

Summary
Lord Ahmed denies having said that he wants to put a price of 10 million on Obama’s head which he allegedly said after the announcement of a 10 million bounty put on the head of Hafiz Saeed. Ahmed claims that he has not been given a chance to give his views. The Express Tribune claims that Ahmed has said the following: “If the US can announce a reward of $10m for the capture of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of £10m on President Obama and his predecessor George Bush." Ahmed denies having said that but admits that he has stated that Bush and Blair should be brought before international court for their alleged war crimes in Afghanistan.

Opinion
A 10 million bounty (I presume that would be in pounds) sounds pretty nice. Seeing as 57 gram standard bounty costs about 50 pence a 10 million pound bounty (that’s pounds as in price not as in weight) would weigh roughly 114000 kilograms, which would probably convert to a hundred thousand kilograms of coconut goodness and fourteen thousand pounds of chocolate covering. I see why a British lord would deny the USA president such a treat. But then again, Obama is probably a Snickers guy.
                               Obama after being denied a giant bounty

I feel that I might have misunderstood the article.

2 opmerkingen:

  1. It seems like such an easy way to catch the people you are looking for. Just tell everyone they would get lots of money if they helped. Most people will not care anymore whether the person is guilty or not, it is all about the money.

    And regarding your reaction: I would go for the giant Snicker as well. Blugh, coconut.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. This sounds like a clever retort gone horribly wrong: the press jumped on it and blew it out of proportion as always. Though I can understand that he wanted to make this sharp remark, when you are in the spotlights you really must be aware of what you say.

    As for your reaction: Snickers trumps bounties, always.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen